For years, all my uber-gorgeous, wildly-chic Parisian friends have sworn that they know the secret to great skin. And then I bribed one who told me what it was: They use Orlane’s B21 Extraordinaire. The fancy science behind it resets cells, slows malfunctions, and restores the positive glow found in youthful skin with the help of 21 essential amino acids. It’s not cheap, but treat yourself to one for the holidays. (B21 retails for $250. neimanmarcus.com or orlane.com.)
WHAT I’M LOVING TODAY… OK…so with whisper-fine hair, I’m skeptical when people tell me that they have a miracle product that cleanses, conditions AND adds volume. But then I heard whisperings about this amazing new product at Julien Farel’s Madison Avenue salon, so I had to try it for myself. This stuff works. Brilliantly. My hair looks seriously full, voluminous and bouncy.
Like the perfect pair of skinny jeans and a go-anywhere blazer, a flattering everyday, anywhere nude lipstick should be a staple in everyone’s makeup wardrobe. When we sat down with makeup guru Sonia Kashuk for her supermom post, she was honest—and hilarious!—when she talked about why she’s a nude lipstick devotee. “When I have to attend a business meeting or an event, I always think, I love red lips! But in reality, my lips are totally cockeyed. People have told me to get injections to fix it, but I’m not into that. That’s my imperfection. It is what it is. So that’s why I tend to go for more of a nude lip,” she said.
Whether you want to downplay you lip shape, love natural-looking makeup, or need a neutral counterpart to a bold eye effect, a nude lip look is something you shouldn’t have to think more than two seconds about. But, the truth is, if you’re not a ridiculously talented makeup artist like Sonia, it’s tough to find a flattering nude shade. Often times they can make you look like a corpse. Not helpful! So here are Sonia’s top three tips on how to pick the perfect nude lipstick.
1. Avoid nude lipsticks that look too grey. Many nude lipsticks have grey, pasty undertones. Grey toned nudes can actually become a dull purple on your lips, making you look pretty much more dead tired than you already are.
2. Instead, choose a nude with a brown base and a hint of pink or peach. A brown base prevents that dreaded washed-out look. And more look-alive undertones are way more flattering.
3. Punch it up with a liner. Applying nude liner under a nude lipstick can help punch it up a bit, and also improve staying power. Play with different shades or pink or brown and experiment with adjusting the intensity until you nail the perfect look.
Having used a multitude of different nude lipsticks in her lustrous makeup career, Sonia’s created her own perfect nude: Sonia Kashuk Satin Luxe Lipstick in Pinky Beige, $9.99. We also asked some of our other favorite lipstick brands to share their best selling nudes. COVERGIRL Lip Perfection in Kiss, $7.49, is a fan favorite and we also love how hydrating it is. Lancôme L’Absolue Rouge in Rich Cashmere, $30, is the perfect peach nude. Lipstick Queen’s best selling Chinatown lipstick in Cameo, $22, is a hit and also super easy to use when you’re on the go.
Do you have a favorite nude lipstick? Please share!
Who has 30 minutes in the morning just to blow out their hair? Not me and, I bet, not you. But, as we all know, a great hair day makes you feel more confident, energized and outgoing, while bad hair days make you want throw a paper bag over your head. Thanks to some ingenious new products and tools, I’ve honed my best at-home blowout routine to less than 15 minutes. Here’s how:
1. Always use a super absorbent hair towel to squeeze every drop of water possible out of your hair. Don’t rub or you’ll cause frizz. I use the Aquis Essentials Microfiber Towel, $17.
2. Apply a heat-protecting styling cream to wet hair, then comb it through. My latest obsession is the new Living Proof Prime Style Extender, $20, which not only helps smooth out your hair but it also extends the life of your style by a day or so. This means that I actually only have to blowout my hair every other day, which saves time and is ideal for color treated hair.
3. Start to blow-dry your hair while shaking it around until it’s about 80% dry, then use a brush to smooth it out. I swear the new Harry Josh Pro Tools Pro Dryer 2000, $250, cuts drying time in half. It creates an 80 mph wind flow that’s infused with super charged ionic technology, which dries hair in a snap while smoothing fly-aways and making it look soft and shiny. (I know it’s kind of pricy, but it’s supposed to last 15 years.)
4. Have two brushes on hand. Use a smaller 1-inch round brush to smooth out your face-framing pieces. Get the rest of your hair sleek and straight with a larger two-inch round brush or a flat paddle mixed-bristle brush.
5. Once everything is dry, rub a dab of shine serum between your palms, then smooth over the ends to hide split-ends and boost shine. Kerastase Elixir Ultime The Imperial, $25, also has UV filters and a beautiful light floral scent.
Every supermom needs a concealer with super hero powers. It has to hide, brighten, lighten, and never ever cake. Here are a few favorites from some of the inspiring supermoms we’ve featured on Pretty Impressed.
1. Josie Maran Argan Creamy Concealer Crayon, $20. Elaine D’Farley, Beauty Director for Self, first told me about this concealer when I interviewed her a few months ago, but of course, she was using a preview sample and it wasn’t available to buy back then. But now that it launched this month, I can finally blog about it. I’ve been using it for a few weeks myself now and find it to be a miracle-worker. It’s a hydrating, ultra creamy, full-coverage stick that you can just scribble over problem areas and watch them disappear. It’s so hydrating that it never cakes up, is very easy to blend and creates a natural luminous finish. The self-sharpening, twist-up tip is also really convenient.
2. Prescriptives Flawless Cover Concealer, $23. When a makeup artist starts talking about her personal favorites, I listen carefully. Romy Soleimani told me backstage at New York Fashion Week that Prescriptives Flawless Cover Concealer is one of her must-haves. “It has a mirror so it’s easy to use on the go,” she said. This cream-to-powder formula has broad spectrum SPF 25, brightens the eye area, conceals dark circles, lines, wrinkles, pores, and reduces puffiness and redness. Bingo!
3. Make Up For Ever Concealer Pencil, $19. Style expert and author Jacqui Stafford uses this concealer pencil not only to hide blemishes, but to also brighten up her eyes. “Wear it on the inner rim of your eyes to make your eyes look really, really bright,” she told us. Concealer Pencils blend like a cream but correct with the precision of a pencil. Each crayon has two different colored tips for more color combination possibilities.
4. Bobbi Brown Foundation Stick, $42. “I have vitiligo, so my skin tone is very uneven and I need a cover-up that actually works. This foundation evens everything out and is so easy to use. I just draw it on, then blend. It looks really natural and I even use it as concealer too,” says Melissa Stone Mangham of The Style Network. It’s also easy to toss in your bag for touch ups throughout the day.
Do you have a favorite foundation? Tell us about it!